Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Family Union Ceremony at The Giving Tree

"It has been said that adoption is more like a marriage than a birth: two (or more) individuals, each with their own unique mix of needs, patterns, and genetic history, coming together with love, hope, and commitment for a joint future. You become a family not because you share the same genes, but because you share love for each other."

-Joan McNamara
(Adoptive parent)

Ceremony.jpg


There are many kinds of family. There is the family you are born to. You don't get to chose them. You share blood and characteristics and personality traits with them. Sometimes that means you will have a wonderful relationship with them. Other times those shared personality traits lead to conflict and misunderstanding. Usually there's a combination of love and tension that defines a family.

And then there is your chosen family. Your chosen family members are the people you bring into your life intentionally and keep in your life because you find that you can love them unconditionally with your whole heart, often in the way that we wish we could love our blood family. We all have someone in our life who is a chosen family member that we can't imagine not being a part of our lives. I'm fortunate to have a very large chosen family. There have been many times in my life that I have leaned on chosen family members for the support that I needed that simply wasn't available from my blood family. I have no doubt that the ties to my chosen family are every bit as strong as the connections I have with my blood relatives. Blood ties are never a requirement for family, only love is.

Ceremony 133.jpg


On Thursday, January 6, I was fortunate enough to be invited to The Giving Tree to document another union ceremony. This time there would be two sisters adopted into a family that already had four children, making them a family of eight at the end of the day! This was to be a happy and boisterous celebration.

First, there was pizza for lunch.

Ceremony 77.jpg


There were balloons to play with.

Ceremony 196.jpg


Mark 3.jpg


Mark 1.jpg


Grandma and Grandpa were there. So were lots of cameras.

Ceremony (1).jpg


Ceremony 385.jpg


Then it was time to sign the papers to make everything official.

Ceremony 267.jpg


And then it was time for the ceremony. The candles were laid out on the table. A special poem had been chosen for reading.

Ceremony 183.jpg


Ceremony 174.jpg


Everyone gathered in a circle and joined hands. Prayers were said for the new family. The poem was read. There were a few tears of happiness.

Ceremony 458.jpg


Ceremony 465.jpg


Ceremony 494.jpg


Ceremony 437.jpg


And then it was time to light the symbolic unity candle. Today a new family was born.

Ceremony 543.jpg


It was an honor to be present for such an amazing event. I want to thank everyone at The Giving Tree for inviting me to be involved. I also want to wish this large and happy new family a lifetime of love and happiness. Thank you for letting us be a part of your special day.

I would also like to extend a very special Thank You to Mark Tioxon, the 'Mark' of LeahAndMark.com, for accompanying me on this special day. We had made other plans for this day, but when The Giving Tree notified me of the ceremony, he very generously agreed to donate his time and energy and camera as well. I was very glad to have him there when I arrived and realized what a big family we would be photographing. All of the images that you see here that aren't watermarked are his. Like this awesome last photo.

Mark 2.jpg


If you enjoyed these photos, you can see another family unity ceremony here.

Thanks again for visiting my blog. It's always good to have you here.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Amanda...what an amazing thing to be a part of. Your post is beautifully written, and the photos are amazing (as always!) Thanks for sharing...and for being part of my chosen family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how well I'd do at one of these ceremonies.....I think I'd cry through the whole thing.

    The comments about what makes a family couldn't have been said better.

    Love this!

    ReplyDelete