Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Place To Call Home

Ceremony 1.jpg


This post is a bit delayed, but it's a really neat one. On Thursday, November 4, I had the incredible experience of being present for the creation of a family. The Giving Tree is a local non-profit adoption agency that assists and trains families so that they can provide permanent homes for children in the foster care system. These are amazing people doing amazing work, and they invited me to witness and photograph an adoption ceremony joining a mom and a dad with their adorable new daughter.

Ceremony 6.jpg


The ceremony is very simple, but completely heartfelt and incredibly touching. First everyone involved in bringing the family together spoke briefly. There were jokes and stories shared, but mostly there was sincere joy for the new family.

Ceremony 8.jpg


A special poem is read next.

Ceremony 9.jpg


Then it was time for the actual ceremony. First the three small candles were lit, one each for mom and dad and one for their newest family member.

Ceremony 11.jpg


Ceremony 12.jpg


And then together they lit the large candle to symbolize their unity.

Ceremony 13.jpg


Everyone joined hands and bowed their heads for a special prayer for the new family.

Ceremony 14.jpg


Ceremony 15.jpg


Afterwards there were presents for the new family and cake for everyone.

It was an honor to be present for such a special occasion, and I want to thank everyone at The Giving Tree for inviting me to be involved. I also want to wish this beautiful new family a lifetime of love and happiness. Thank you for letting me be a part of your special day.

P.S. I forgot to mention that November 20th was the 11th annual National Adoption Day, and the month of November was National Adoption Month, as declared by the P.O.T.U.S. himself. You can read the Presidential Proclamation here.

4 comments:

  1. OMG.....your photos really made me feel like I was there during the ceremony. My fav's are the last one and the one where the woman is gripping the back of the man's jacket. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What amazing photos and an amazing event to be a a part if. I LOVE the shot of the Moms hand grabbing Dads jacket. As usual great work Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys. It was a privilege to be there for their ceremony, and I'm glad I could share it with everyone. I hope to be working with this organization a good bit more in the future. They really are amazing.

    ReplyDelete