Monday, November 9, 2009

Daisy's Close Ups

November 10.jpg




I've managed to get a little behind again with editing and posting. But I've been having a great time taking animal photos lately. Daisy is becoming less camera shy, thankfully, so I was able to get some great up close shots of her late one evening. The fascinating thing I've learned about dogs since having Daisy in my life is that, despite what we've been led to believe, animals have distinct personalities and deep emotions. You see, Daisy is what my vet refers to as "high strung." Meaning she's insane. And I say in the best, most loving way.. kind of like the way my mom says it about me. Daisy has an extremely serious obsession with squirrels which has led to a couple of close calls recently (for the squirrels). And I don't mean that she's interested in them, or amused by them, or any other descriptive with mild connotations. Daisy is pure dog-obsessed with squirrels. She wakes me up lately at the very first signs of light, squeaking and whimpering as she peers out the window of the bedroom. "Are they up yet, are they up yet, are they up yet?" All of the windows in the house have little nose smears on them where she keeps watch with trembling intensity. When we go outside, she roars out the back door like she's dog-drag racing.. you can practically smell smoke as she scrambles across the deck and onto the ground, dirt and leaves flying from beneath her feet. Squirrels scream and race up into their trees to safety. Then she assumes the watch. She never looks down when she's outside. She moves in a counterclockwise routine around the yard, from spot to spot, peering up into the trees, always watching. Not too long ago, she cornered one under our fire pit on the patio at 7am. I imagine the neighbors really appreciated me out there in my pajamas chasing my dog around in circles shouting and cursing and threatening. The poor squirrel escaped, but probably had a heart attack shortly afterward. Since then, Daisy's obsession has escalated. There is nothing in the world more interesting than a squirrel, not even peanut butter, which, as we all know, is the world's most perfect food. The funny thing is, even after living with Daisy for 3 months now, and mimicking everything she does, Tallulah Belle has absolutely no interest in squirrels. Funny, huh?

November 9.jpg


November 12.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment